Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Because I don't have enough fake drumsets at my apt


Taking a page out of the playbook of the rival Rock Band series (ok, more like blatantly copying), the next Guitar Hero game will add vocals and drums to the fray. As a die-hard Rock Band fan, this really irks me. Harmonix, the developer of Rock Band and the original Guitar Hero games, have always been in favor of an open hardware standard, supporting the notion that you could use your RB guitar for GH, and vice versa.

Activision on the otherhand has made it their goal in life to COCKBLOCK any such intentions, first by blocking PS3 Guitar Hero guitar compatibility, and now by changing their drum configuration so that it will in no way be compatible with Rock Band.

Look, adding cymbals is pretty cool (it would've been cooler if they added a dedicated hi-hat, meaning 7 "drums" total) but I seriously doubt the viability of a plan that will ask millions of people who already shelled out almost $200 for a fake instrument bundle to do the same when their new game comes out.

Another thing that has bothered me (and I think that both sides are guilty of this) has been the constant attempt by Activision (GH publisher), and Rock Band publisher EA/MTV Games to secure "exclusive" artists, ie: paying bands to only have songs on their respective game. So that means this week I don't get to play that dope Muse pack coming to Guitar Hero, nor will I get any play from that Aerosmoth GH disc coming later.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my exclusive Boston pack and continue to hope that one day we can all rock out united, in peace

Credit: Kotaku and Game Informer

2 comments:

  1. that drumset looks whack

    but I wonder what the interface will look like on screen 'cuz guitar hero has those giant notes and crazy flashing things everywhere

    also makes you think about what harmonix is doing behind the scenes to counteract this madness

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One Armed Scissor," FTMFW. Though I hate this phrase so so much, FTMFL.

    ReplyDelete