Saturday, April 12, 2008

Taking It Easy

To: Lance, Ray, Adonis
From: Nazer

12:33 on a Saturday afternoon. The sun is shining outside and it looks ridiculously nice, but I know when I step out it's going to be windy as hell. On my desk are leftover Heineken bottles and Mcdonalds napkins, crumpled receipts and magazine advertisements, and more, lets just call it unorganized chaos.

School has been cool, well let me say this again, school is always cool, just some weeks are better than others. I don't think I'm alone in this, but eventually you hit a point in your studies where you feel like you're comfortable with the material, then you read a few more pages of a book and your world suddenly expands and you realize how much you actually don't know; a vicious, repetitive cycle. With only 3 more weeks left and finals I'm just going to stick it out and hope for the best results.

I watched the Padres lose to the Giants, watched "Psycho" (1960) for my History of Film Music class, watched The Office and 30 Rock, and played Portal and Mass Effect on 360. The last page of Entertainment Weekly was entitled Videogame Lunacy by Stephen King, and he talked about the generalizations given to video games as a sort of "evil" in the world. He makes note to say that he isn't a gamer, but he understands when people in this industry lash out because of the comments that are directly associated with them. He talked about a Massachusetts law that's currently in review stating that kids won't be able to purchase Mature rated games until they're 18, but states that the same child can go watch Hostel II at age 17. He also commented on the fact that it is so easy for a reporter to say that video games cause things like school shootings, but what ignorant adult let their kids get their hands on guns in the first place. This is a topic I find interesting because I consider myself a gamer, and I'm not in favor of the stereotypes placed behind them.

So what's planned for the day? Maybe some practicing, getting some school work done, maybe playing some video games or watching a movie, and then another night of hanging out, typical saturday, but we'll see. Take it easy folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment